Welcome Annals of Esports Research
Please read for submission guidance to the Annals of Esports Research (AER).
- You will need to create a free Submittable account or sign in with Google or Facebook credentials to submit to these forms.
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- If anything changes with the information you submitted, please request to edit the submission. If you need to make changes to your form, please withdraw your submission and resubmit.
- Submittable works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported. Please make sure you are using a supported browser.
- AER will follow up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure to whitelist notification emails from Submittable and check the email you used to sign up for your Submittable Account regularly.
- See AER'S Author Guidelines below
Please join us on Twitter @AnnalsofEpsort and Discord https://discord.gg/3EnqgHu3WM
Instruction to Authors
- Cover letter: In this cover letter clarify any special circumstances and provide any additional explanation regarding prior publication or conflicts of interest.
- Title Page: Please prepare your title page as a separate electronic file, including the following elements:
- Title of the manuscript
- Authors list, with full names and up to 2 academic degrees per author
- Affiliations of each author, including institution or corporation, department, division or program, city, state, country.
- Corresponding Author(s)
- Meetings description, if the work has been presented, including the location and date
- Grant or other financial support
- Conflicts of interest: Please list of all potential conflicts of interest for each author.
- Word count for the text (excluding abstract)
- If you are reporting research, specify institutional review board or ethics committee approval in the Methods section
- Plagiarism: We regularly check submitted manuscripts using plagiarism checking software
All submissions to AER must be through Editorial Manager, our Web-based peer review system. Following initial basic information entry, you upload the following documents as separate files:
- Cover letter
- Title Page
- Abstract, article, references: The abstract, main text of your manuscript, and the references should be combined into a single electronic file. Tables and figures can be included in this file or uploaded separately as you prefer.
Following submission, we will communicate with you using the e-mail addresss of corresponding author(s) that you have provided.
You will be asked on behalf of all authors to transfer all copyright ownership to Harrisburg University of Science and Technology (HU) if the work is published in any medium. Authors reserve all proprietary rights (other than copyright) including patent rights relating to the subject matter of the article and the right for personal use in lectures, lecture notes, and exhibits. For all other uses, authors must seek written permission from HU. All submitted material that has been published elsewhere is accompanied by the written consent of the author and publisher. Photographs and any materials that contain personal information are accompanied by their signed release authorizing publication.
Style and Format
For scientific submissions, manuscripts should conform to American Medical Association Style Manual for all other submissions please adhere American Psychology Association Style Manual (APA 7).
Upon submission, each manuscript will be reviewed for completeness and adherence to submission requirements. It will be assigned to one or more AER’s associate editor based on subject matter. These editors will assess the manuscript, and either send it to expert peer reviewers for comment, or instead provide summary feedback to the authors if it is judged insufficient priority for further consideration. Authors will receive reviewers’ comments Failure to conform to appropriate standards of formatting for your area will lead to a summary rejection. Reviewers’ feedback and the editorial decision will be made to available to Authors. The review process will take 8-12 weeks.
Blind Peer Review Process
AER uses blinded peer review. Therefore, be advised to not include personal or identifying information beyond the cover page of your manuscript. Research papers sent to peer subject area reviewers may also receive review from one of our methodology and statistics editors. Manuscripts must not be previously published or submitted to another journal while they are under review by the AER. Before any manuscript is finally accepted for publication, it is additionally reviewed and approved by the editor-in-chief. Upon acceptance and subsequent revisions, authors will receive an electronic page proof for review and approval, following which the manuscript will be published on the web.
AER’s Manuscript Format for Scientific Research Submissions
AER’s style for Scientific Research is to format research manuscripts as detailed below:
Your abstract should be 250 words or less and divided into: Objective, Methods, Results, and Conclusions. Emphasize the magnitude of findings over test statistics, but using confidence intervals for the principal outcomes as appropriate.
The most effective introduction sections are less than 500 words, and make the case that the topic is important and relevant. All but the shortest introductions require separation into three subheadings: Background, Importance, and Goals.
The Methods section has subheading choices that vary with the study, but the following are most frequently used: Study Design, Selection of Participants, Interventions, Outcomes, and Analysis.
The Results section has subheading choices that vary with the study, but the following are most frequently used: Characteristics of study subjects, and Main results.
Discuss the limitations of the study. When possible, describe each bias and how it might affect the interpretation of results.
Briefly summarize the results and how they relate to your area of investigation. Avoid claims about cost or economic benefit unless a formal cost-effectiveness analysis was presented in the Methods and Results sections. Do not suggest "more research is needed" without stating what the specific next step is.
Optionally, a paragraph starting with "In retrospect, . . ." can be used to discuss what you would suggest to do differently if the study were repeated, so others can learn from your experience.
Do not use a separate conclusion section, but include it as the last paragraph of the Discussion using "In summary, . . ."
Preparing Figures and Tables
If a manuscript has more figures or tables than can be reasonably accommodated in a standard-length manuscript, the additional figures and tables can be placed in a web-only appendix.
Graphics should be used to convey patterns and details that cannot be succinctly conveyed in tables or text. Graph your data, not statistics of your data (eg, no bar graphs of means). Graphics should show the distribution of data (eg, scatterplots) rather than showing summaries of data (eg, bar graphs of means). If the data collected are paired (eg, pre and post, or 2 different measures on the same subject), then the graphical format should convey the pairing of the data.
Omit background gridlines, 3-dimensional formatting, and background shadings. Every graph attribute (shape, shading, color, pattern, etc) should have a unique purpose.
Arrange tables so that the primary comparisons of interest are horizontal and left-to-right. Provide the N for each column or row and marginal totals where appropriate. A reader should be able to identify the N and the measurement units for every statistic presented in the table. Use SDs when presenting actual data or CIs when presenting means.
Contacting the Journal
This Information for Authors contains answers to the most common questions asked of journals, so please review it before contacting the journal office.
Should your answer not be found in these pages, please email us at AnnalsEsports@HarrisburgU.edu.
If you prefer to contact us by mail, our address is: Annals of Esports Research, 326 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
If your matter is urgent, our office telephone is 717-901-5100.